Alberta Accident Benefits Explained

Accident benefits can be confusing. Let us help.

First Off, What are Accident Benefits?

Accident benefits are mandated in each province by law. This means that everyone who is injured in a car accident is entitled to a minimum level of payment for their injuries. Some provinces have the option for you to purchase additional coverage, meaning that you may have more than the minimum limit.

How Do I Get Them?

Each province in Canada has different kinds of benefits available under different policies. Some provinces have public insurance, purchased through the province, and other provinces have private insurance, meaning you purchased your insurance from a private company.

Every province has a minimum amount of accident benefits that must be part of every policy, meaning that regardless of where your accident occurred in Canada, you could be eligible for thousands of dollars in accident benefits.

Does Alberta Have Public or Private Insurance?

Alberta has private insurance. This means various private insurance companies are responsible for issuing insurance policies and you likely have your own, chosen insurer who will pay you your accident benefits.

Is Alberta No-Fault or Tort-Based?

Alberta has tort-based liability rules. This means an automobile insurer will pay certain benefits only after determining who was liable and that an injured party can bring a claim in court against the party that allegedly caused their injuries.

What Categories of Accident Benefits Are Available in Alberta?


Maximum coverage of $50,000 per person (including reasonable expenses such as medical, surgical, chiropractic, dental, hospital, psychological, physical therapy, occupational therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, professional nursing services, ambulance services or other services essential to your treatment or rehabilitation. Certain services are subject to the following sub-limits:  $1000 for chiropractic, $350 for massage therapy,  $350 for acupuncture


- Up to $6150 for one person


- $500 per family


- Between $1,000 to $10,000 depending on the age of the deceased and their status in the family, as outlined below:

Age of Deceased
Was the Deceased the Head of Household
Was the Deceased A Spouse / Adult Interdependent Partner
Was the Deceased A Dependent Relative
Up to 4 years old
5 to 9 years old
10 to 17 years old
18 to 64 years old
65 to 69 years old
Over 70 years old

If the deceased was the head of the household, an additional fee will be paid. If there are two more survivors in the household who are either a spouse or interdependent partner or 2 or more dependent relatives, the principal sum is increased by 20% for each survivor other than the first. If there is a spouse/adult interdependent partner or a dependent relative survivor, the benefit is increased by $15,000 and by a subsequent $4,000 for each remaining survivor.


The lesser of $600 per week or 80% of their average gross weekly earnings (less Employment Insurance or occupational income available), subject to a 7-day waiting period.
This benefit is valid for up to 104 weeks from the date of the accident. Eligibility for this coverage is contingent that the claimant was employed at the date of the accident, and within 60 days of the accident their injuries prevented them from performing any and every duty pertaining to their employment.

In the case that the injured party is over 18, not employed at the time of the accident, is completely incapacitated and unable to perform their household duties, then the claimant can receive $200 per week for up to 104 weeks while incapacitated.


If you are hit by an uninsured or unknown driver, the Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program (MVAC) may compensate you for the value of your claim up to a maximum of $200,000.


These benefits apply to the "no-fault jurisdictions" of Manitoba, Ontario, Québec, and Saskatchewan. This means that if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in any of these provinces, then the insurer is required to pay benefits required in that province.

How to Claim Accident Benefits in Alberta


If you have other benefits that may cover your treatments, most insurance policies require that you fully utilize those benefits before claiming benefits under the insurance policy.

Talk with your adjuster to confirm, but in general the order of priority is to claim any work benefits first, then government benefits, then insurance policy benefits.

Want to Learn More About Accident Benefits?

Read or download the complete Automobile Accident Insurance Benefits Regulation from the Government of Alberta website.
You can also view a copy of the full Alberta Standard Automobile Policy (S.P.F. No. 1).
Finally, you can also learn more at the Automobile insurance | website or connect with the Office of the Alberta Superintendent of Insurance: Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-643-2237
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-420-0752
Email: If you have further questions about this process, or your benefits, contact your claims adjuster. If you do not know who your claims adjuster is, contact the insurance company. You can also contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada at 1-844-227-5422 or the General Insurance Ombudservice at 1-877-225-0446.